DP

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

+11
Ghost-Fish
Asil
KaiVii
kincsem
KatInTheHat
Dember
Baku
Aly818
Swolf
MuffinJuice
Peregryn
15 posters

1.3.2011 :: Happy New Year and Welcome!

Peregryn
    Peregryn
    Admin

1.3.2011  ::  Happy New Year and Welcome! Empty 1.3.2011 :: Happy New Year and Welcome!

Post by Peregryn Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:18 am

1.3.2011 - News Updates!

First of all, I'd like to wish everyone a happy new year! I hope that everything is going good for all of you :D

Secondly, we're going to really start moving on getting this site up and running.

Here are the biggest updates on progress:

1. The writers and myself are working on getting a plot for the site as well as a solid TOS.

2. Dember, with her amazing self, has done the lines for our first pet.

Click for full view! ^^

3. I am starting to code the site! It's going very slowly, but it's still going. =D

Dember wants critique on the wolf-like pet above. Please, if you are an artist, post below and give feedback! It is greatly appreciated!

Keep your eyes open, as we're going to be posting updates much more regularly from here on out.

Edit from Dember:
    No one needs to be a site artists to critique. x) Or an actual artist, even..I mean, you don't need to be a master chef to be a good food critic, and if you've got an eye for detail, then by all means, I'm open to hear your suggestions.
    Also, I am open to any and all redlines! Just one of those can help ten times more than any words, so if you want to post any of those, you all have my full permission and appreciation if you do. x)

MuffinJuice
    MuffinJuice

1.3.2011  ::  Happy New Year and Welcome! Empty Re: 1.3.2011 :: Happy New Year and Welcome!

Post by MuffinJuice Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:23 am

I'm excited to see it when it's done!
    Swolf
    Swolf

1.3.2011  ::  Happy New Year and Welcome! Empty Re: 1.3.2011 :: Happy New Year and Welcome!

Post by Swolf Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:47 am

:'D So epic! Dember, I want your skills. ;3; As for critique, the only thing that is slightly off (and ever so slightly, mind you) is that the legs may be a bit too thin, and the front right paw (the one off the ground) may be a tad too small. It may just all be in my head, though, so only change anything if you really think you should. Again, the art is amazing, and the coding is epic! Very Happy
    Peregryn
    Peregryn
    Admin

Post by Peregryn Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:53 pm

Thanks for the input Swolf =D
    Aly818
    Aly818

Post by Aly818 Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:32 am

I'm glad that this site is starting! I'm in no way an artist, so I can't help there! Smile
    Baku

Post by Baku Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:15 am

Wolfpet critique ftw:

The shoulders aren't quite defined enough against the chest, and the right hind leg looks... wrong, somehow. Maybe it's too forward? The left forepaw could also serve to be a tad bit thicker, I think.
    Dember
    Dember
    Admin

Post by Dember Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:22 am

Thanks a ton, Swolf and Baku. I was trying to go for perspective with the far front paw, but I'll be tweaking a lot before I go for actual lines and whatnot, anyway. Believe it or not, this is my idea of a "rough" sketch. xDD; I don't think I'll be changing the shoulders too much, but I might move that far hind leg back a bit, as suggested. Again, redlines are extra-helpful, too. Thanks again, guys. x3
    KatInTheHat

Post by KatInTheHat Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:52 am

Hmm. The only thing that strikes me as odd with the lines is how small/far-back the chest is. It seems like it should come out more in the front.
    Dember
    Dember
    Admin

Post by Dember Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:11 pm

Larger breastbone area, got it. xD

Also, the file name might be "wolfpet", as that's what I've nicknamed it at the moment, but I'm actually going for a mostly wolf/husky look, and may attempt to add in some malamute/shepherd/heeler traits as well, so it's a general "large fluffy canine with long legs, medium-to-long muzzle and pointy ears" type of pet, and could easily be altered into any of the above or more.
    For example, if you shaved a bit off of the back now, and changed the ears and tail, it could also look like a non-standard shepherd or mix, especially with the right coloring. x)
    kincsem

Post by kincsem Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:06 pm

Hey I think its a really cute pet. I agree that the front raised paw seems slightly too small, but otherwise it seems well proportioned. And just an idea but I reckon it might look good with slightly larger/ taller ears. Very Happy
    Dember
    Dember
    Admin

Post by Dember Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:06 am

Thanks for the feedback. The ears are currently husky/malamute-like. If I had intended it to be a wolf, it would have had triangular but definitely rounded ears, because no wolf of any species has pointy ears, as so many people wrongly portray them.

I doubt I'll be changing the ears much, as I said, I wanted it to look like a heavy mix of wolf and domestic dog species and breeds, so, personally, I think the husky-malamute ones look fine on it, as a main pet species. People are welcome to alter that themselves on their own customs, of course. x)
    KaiVii
    KaiVii

Post by KaiVii Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:18 am

I'm not a dog expert, but I joined to mention this, the hind legs, the segment between the 'heel' and the paw seems a little short to me. The structure of the paws seem a little odd too, the structure of the toes specifically but I'm not good enough myself to do a good redline for you but it could just be because it's in the sketch phase.
    Dember
    Dember
    Admin

Post by Dember Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:03 am

You could have emailed or IM'd me. I think you can find my contacting information without having an account here, at least.
    Anyway, someone else mentioned that the front toes currently look like fingers, to them. xD I assure you, they'll be a lot nicer when I'm done; this is just rough-sketch stage. Paws are one of the details I do pride myself on, as well as dental structures. x) I'll keep the hock-to-paw area in mind.
    Also, the 'heel', I think you're talking about, is the ankle joint on a canine, because the heel is the 'palm' pad on the foot.

So people can get an idea of my usual work (and so I can shamelessly show off my artzes) ::
    Peregryn
    Peregryn
    Admin

Post by Peregryn Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:55 am

Dember...you is a show off. lol But, you deserve it with talent like that lol =D
    Dember
    Dember
    Admin

Post by Dember Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:26 am

I haven't even started, bby.

Have some more WIP'y goodness. Click to enlarge, y'all. xD
    Asil
    Asil

Post by Asil Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:20 am

Oh my, Dember! You're work is absolutely stunning! =D
    kincsem

Post by kincsem Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:32 pm

Wow this site will look so great when it up and running Smile It will have the prettiest pets.
    Ghost-Fish
    Ghost-Fish

Post by Ghost-Fish Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:34 am

The only critique I'd give is that it's a little odd to have it moving both right paws at the same time while walking. Usually dogs have alternate paws lifted at the same time (right front, left hind, for example).
    Dember
    Dember
    Admin

Post by Dember Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:05 am

Actually, not always. I've seen cats do that, but most dogs, and even wolves, actually lift the same paws on the same side.

The pose I used isn't supposed to be walking (or it would be looking in front of itself, not to one side), just sort of standing, maybe hesitating in motion, not really positive.

I was going more for "can we put good markings and stuff like manes and wings and such on this?" perspective, than "does this look like a pose you would see a dog/wolf/etc. take, in a photo or video" perspective.

Of course, if enough people disliked the overall pose or image, I could always redo it entirely. People seemed generally pleased with this one thus far, though, so I'll see if anyone has anything better in mind. No one has offered any redlines yet, at least.
    Peregryn
    Peregryn
    Admin

Post by Peregryn Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:24 pm

I think the pose is fine, to be honest. But as you said, if anyone has something better in mind, let us know.
    Ghost-Fish
    Ghost-Fish

Post by Ghost-Fish Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:45 am

I know it's not always, my dog does both right and both left at the same time, but she's not supposed to. That's why she's not a show dog XP

*shrug* It looks strange to me to have 2 alternate feet off the ground because normally if it was paused for more than a seconds it would be unbalanced and put a paw down. It would look more natural to me to have the right hind on the ground. I'm not saying you should change the pose, it's your call, that's just what I see. I think it would make great art for the site just how it is, it's just that you asked for crit and that's all I can think of.

Bad paint sketch is bad, and to be honest I like your version better, but this is kind of what I'm getting at.

kincsem

Post by kincsem Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Dember, I'm sure you will work out the finer detail when you do a more final sketch and it will look great Smile

And to answer your question about markings on this pose, I think that they should work well. I like the way the dogs head is turned as this will make it easier to see face markings as well as body markings.

Ghost-fish I like your idea of placing both hind feet on the ground, I think that it gives the impression of the dog pausing that Dember mentioned.
    Dember
    Dember
    Admin

Post by Dember Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:40 am

Hey everyone. Just wanted to pop in and show off my new puppy explain my lack of recent artwork updates.
    I've been pretty busy lately, and I'd love you all to see why. Well..this is Taylo. c:

As you can probably guess, she's quite a handful and she's into everything the moment I glance away from her, so the only time I have to draw is when she's asleep..and I'll be honest, when she is, that's usually when I sleep as well, or partake in luxuries such as eating and relaxing and talking to friends.

As soon as her housebreaking is trustworthy (so far, only one accident in five days, so she's doing pretty damn well!) and she's not trying to chew every shoe, slipper and electrical cord in sight, I'll be able to draw much more frequently.
    For now, you're going to have to make do with lots of pictures of her and her daddy, my baby boy, Nova, though. I don't think you'll mind too much..she's really friggen adorable. xD;

Perri, if you read this, we /really/ need a "general chat" forum. Hinthint. xD;
    kincsem

Post by kincsem Wed Jan 26, 2011 3:17 pm

Taylo is sooooo cute! ^^

I can see why you have been otherwise occupied.
    Baku

Post by Baku Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:26 pm

Gah! The cute! It blinds! Especially the second pic, it looks like Taylo's blowing a raspberry to Nova. xD 'Nyeh, I'm the cutest!' Good to see she's right at home, though.

Fashion Diva Baku: Mm-hm, guuuurl, that blue totally brings out your EYES! *headbop*

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Jun 30, 2024 4:37 am